Discussion » tin cans

Posted by jeff, 12 years ago:

Does anyone know why it is apparently bad to put tin cans in the fridge? my heinz chopped tomatoes say to decant into suitable container... I said this to my housemates and they laughed at me... I need scientific evidence to back it up, or to be reassured that its fine.
its. keeping. me. awake. at. night....
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

poor tin cans, what have they done to you that you mercilessly freeze them eh, EH?
Posted by ilovebeerme, 12 years ago:

Breeds staphlococus (sp) I think but then it is early on Monday and I could have made that up.
Posted by Rosie, 12 years ago:

I stick half full cans in the fridge and my sister said that you shouldn't do it.

I don't see how it effects anything.....
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

I always put beans in a glass jar before putting them in the fridge.

Its something to do with migration of metal particles into your lovely beans, linked to the fact that the tin is open, and cooled. again I havent a clue why. but better safe than sorry.
Posted by ilovebeerme, 12 years ago:

Cant find anything on google other than DONT DO IT!!! on a whole load of food hygiene sites.

When I used to work in restaurants it was a cardinal sin and can get places shut down during health inspections.

But then you are never supposed to re-heat take away food the next morning and I do that all the time. Mmmmmmmm re-heated curry.....drooolllll
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

You can reheat if you stick the oven up to max for a few minutes. kill off all the bugs. assuming you let it cool down fully before putting it in the fridge.
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

Aha! have just found out that apparently the juices in fruit and veg attack the metal of the can. this is escpecially true of tomatoes. eg baked beans and stuff. So it breaks the can down, and particles of tin get in your beans. the longer you leave it the worst it gets. And eating tin even in small quantities is bad for you.

So Rosie assuming you have been putting tin cans in the fridge for say 5 years. then I give you about 3 months before showing the full effects of tin poisoning. then another 2 months until things really get nasty :D

and the moral is kids, always follow the instructions.
Posted by Rosie, 12 years ago:

I know you have to be carefull with chicken,, but if its on a pizza can you still eat it the next day?
Posted by Sul, 12 years ago:

I almost stop munching on my coke can then. Then I realised that its Aluminium and not Tin. *phew*

Is tin bad for goats too?

That line originally read 'Is Tim bad for goats too?' I have no idea who Tim is, but is he?
Posted by Sul, 12 years ago:

If its on pizza you can eat it a week later. I can vouch for that ;) That goes for ANYthing on pizza.
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

Tim is very bad for goats. And i expect Tin is too.

and if tin is on pizza then its best not to eat it at all sul.

I'm just smug cos more than 90% of food poisoning is caused by meat. I expect the rest is caused by leaving baked beans in the can.

Tims welsh

Im also smug cos more than 90% of iron deficiencies are due to meat dodging
Posted by Rosie, 12 years ago:

There was a bloke in the pub I used to work in who used to eat tin foil. (The kind you get on KitKats.) It was sort of his party trick....!
Posted by ilovebeerme, 12 years ago:

I could be a farmer. Could bloody so.
Posted by Sul, 12 years ago:

Hmmmm. Eating tinfoil (Aluminium again) doesnt seem that impressive to me. I reckon I could do it easy :p
Posted by Rosie, 12 years ago:

Well, to be honest it was quite amusing the first time, but after the 3rd time of him stuffing kitkat wrappers down his throat - it got a bit boring.

I bet he didn't think it was funny when the wrappers made a reappearance out of his arsehole!!

the guy was a twat.
Posted by ilovebeerme, 12 years ago:

If he did the whole performance from eating to reappearance in one go I would have been impressed.

Stop telling me I'm not allowed to be a farmer.
Posted by Sul, 12 years ago:

A bloke who my sister went to school with eats glass in the pub round the corner from me. He can do a whole pint glass. That's impressive.
Posted by Rosie, 12 years ago:

Ouch! Thats gotta hurt!
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

"Im also smug cos more than 90% of iron deficiencies are due to meat dodging"

No, most cases of iron deficiency are in Pregnent Women. so I am still smug. besides who says that you can only get iron from meat?

Kidney beans, Quorn, Brocoli, Raisins, Rice, Oatmeal, all packed will lovely iron.
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

Food IRON (mg/100 calories)

Spinach, cooked 5.4
Collard greens, cooked 3.1
Lentils, cooked 2.9
Broccoli, cooked 2.1
Chickpeas, cooked 1.7

Steak: 1.6

Hmmm. seems that the dead cow isnt as iron rich as you would have us believe.
Posted by arsepuppy, 12 years ago:

...and a result of iron deficiency is very creased clothing.

...

...

I'm *so* sorry about that.

saw that one coming
Posted by ilovebeerme, 12 years ago:

I'd be a great farmer. Piece of straw in my mouth and everything. OO-arrr.
Posted by Sul, 12 years ago:

Posted by Sul, 12 years ago:

oh and that joke was always coming, it was only a matter of time, dont feel bad.
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

"yeah but you generally eat alot more dead cow than you do broccoli surely so it weighs out right?"

I don't :D

"A truely stipid question but if you ate rust would you get some benefit from it?"

So stipid that you spelt stupid wrong. and yes there is, if you consider lockjaw a benefit.
Posted by Sul, 12 years ago:

>_< Doh!

I'm typing on a timelimit here! Leave me alone.

I dont consider lockjaw a benefit unless its upon Geri Halliwell. Are there any other metals cheaply available that I should steer clear of cosuming?
Posted by ilovebeerme, 12 years ago:

Milk the cows, feed the chickens, mend the fence then have a big Ploughmans lunch while watching earthworm jim......yep a farmers life for me.
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

as long as you dont get mixed up and try to milk the chickens. Or try to milk the ploughman's earthworm jim for that matter.
Posted by ilovebeerme, 12 years ago:

:( never thought of that. This farming malarky is harder than I thought. Maybe I could cross breed the animals into one giant super animal. Thus eliminating milking/feeding problems.

I could call it a chow or cocken.

cocken bull
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

chow means food though so that makes sense too

bull + goat = boat
sheep + cow = show
chicken + goose = goon

so "boat show goon" could be your super animal
Posted by cal, 12 years ago:

i want one of those. gimme gimme gimme.
Posted by ilovebeerme, 12 years ago:

I wonder what it would taste like?
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

like chicken. everything does apparently.
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

great ape can be shortened to grape.

just though i would share that with you

mmmm, yum fuckin yum
Posted by cal, 12 years ago:

i may also have been thinking that. burgers - mmmmmmm

mmmm, yum fuckin yum

yeah very true. but do you know that the main flavour in mcdonalds beefburgers, that yummy meat flavour is actually the flavour of urine, faeces and blood.

true.
Posted by cal, 12 years ago:

oooh, handbags!
Posted by cal, 12 years ago:

testing... (please ignore)
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

Tastes good though, also i submit that mcdonalds is good for the planet, the reason being that just mentioning them raises the blood pressure of so called 'environmentalists' watch as their faces turn purple, laugh as they speed there way to an early grave and then help them along with a gentle push to their emaciated bodies
Posted by reitsma, 12 years ago:

ilovebeerme: there's a simple name for your superanimal - devon. or salami. both work.

:o]
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

"raises the blood pressure of so called 'environmentalists' watch as their faces turn purple, laugh as they speed there way to an early grave"

vegetarians live on average 15 years longer than meat eaters. 25 years more than meat eating smokers. and 50 years longer than people who go to mcdonalds (assuming that my plan to destroy everyone visiting mcdonalds on 24th February 2009.

Damn. my secrets out. oh well onwards to plan B

And what do you mean "so called environmentalists"
what is "so called" about it?
I am an environmentalist.

Whereas you are just a mentalist. agghhh you fecking mentalist *drives off in Rover 200 being chased by a scary man with my face tattooed on his chest*
Posted by ilovebeerme, 12 years ago:

I love all these.mmmmmmmmmm.
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

good
Posted by ilovebeerme, 12 years ago:

Not together mind. None of that down on the farm.

I made butternut squash and parma ham soup the other night. Took ages. Not very nice in the end either. It was okay but the flavours were way to harsh and just cancelled each other. You could say it was tasty but not why or what made it so. Damn that Jamie Oliver, damn him straight to hell.
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

ooh, an extra 15 years, so taking an average of 70 years, you get to be 85. wow those are the years you want, sitting there visibly decaying, unable to move properly, mental fog increasing by the day, given the choice i think i'd go early.
Posted by Rosie, 12 years ago:

yeah, being old is shit. The minute I start pissing my pants and forgetting things i wanna be shot.
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

"given the choice i think i'd go early"

why don't you go now :D
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

and i wasnt taking the average of 70 years to begin with. A meat eating smoker has quite a high chance of not making 60.

so if i had to choose between living to 55 and living to 75 you know I think I might want to enjoy my retirement
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

"Average I.Q. of U.S. children: 97" ("U.S. Children's I.Q.s Sink," Los Angeles Times, Feb 6. 1993) [02.06.20:05]

"Average I.Q. of vegetarian children: 116" (Dwyer. JT, et al, "Mental age and I.Q. of predominately vegetarian children," Journal of the American Dietetic
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

just a factoid for you :)
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

retirement! your living in a fools paradise, pray for those lottery balls to roll in, thats the only way our generation are gonna be able to kick back this side of 70.
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

ooh, good fact, let me study up for a while and find someting to fire back with

okay!
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

heres another one to be going along with. not that i trust americans as far as I can throw them:

"U.S. children who are overweight or obese: 25% (29)" (Troiano, R. et. al., "Overweight children and adolescents" Pediatrics 1998;101:497-504; Troiano, R., "Overweight Prevalence and Trends for Children and Adolescents," Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine 1995; 149:1085-91) [02.06.20:01]

"U.S. vegetarian children who are overweight or obese: 8%" (John Robbin's estimate based on lengthy discussions with many physicians and dieticians familiar with the vegetarian and vegan community) [02.06.20:02]

this one is fantastic! this doesnt even include the smoking factor:

"Likelihood of a vegetarian reaching the age of 80 compared to a non-vegetarian (after adjusting for smoking): 1.8 times greater."

(Key, T.J.A., et. al., “Dietary habits and mortality in 11,000 vegetarians and health conscious people: results of a 17-year follow up,” British Medical Journal 1996:313:775-79; See also Key, T., et. al., “Mortality in vegetarians and nonvegetarians: detailed findings from a collaborative analysis of 5 prospective studies,” American Journal of clinical Nutrtion 1999; 70(sup):516S-24S; And Frentzel-Beyme, R., et. al., “Vegetarian diets and colon cancer: the German experience,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1994:59Ssup):1143S-52S) [02.07.27:07]
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

and this is the one. OK so the 15 year was made up but this is from a knowledgable chap:

"Now some people scoff at vegetarians, but they have only 40 percent of our cancer rate. They outlive us. On average they out live other men by about six years now." (William Castelli, M.D., Director, Framingham Heart Study; National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute) Barnard, Neal, The Power of Your Plate, Book Publishing Company, Summertown, TN, 1990, pg 26) [02.07.27:08]
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

"The vast majority of all cancers, cardiovascular diseases, and other forms of degenerative illness can be prevented simply by adopting a plant-based diet.” (T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D., Senior Science Advisor to the American Institute for Cancer Research) [02.07.27:03]
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

ok, this is the final rocking fact to blow you all away and prove once and for all that i am a superior being ;)

And it refers to British studies:

"Rate of lung cancer in British vegetarian men compared to the general British population: 27%" (Key, T., et. al., "Dietary habits and mortality in 1,000 vegetarians and health conscious people: results of a 17-year follow up," British Medical Journal 1998:313:775-79) [02.09.20:08]

"Rate of lung cancer in British vegetarian women compared to the general British population: 37%" (Dietary habits and mortality in 1,000 vegetarians and health conscious people: results of a 17-year follow up," British Medical Journal 1998:313:775-79) [02.09.20:09]
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

"Risk of death from heart disease for vegetarians compared to non-vegetarians: Half" (Virginia Messina, coauthor of the American Dietetic Association position paper on vegetarian diets, Messina, Mark, and Messina, Virginia, The Dietician's Guide To Vegetarian Diets: Issues and Applications, Aspen Publishers, Gaithersburg, Maryland, 1996, pg. 20) [02/10/08:11]
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

"In regions where... meat is scarce, cardiovascular disease is unknown." (Walles, C., "Hold The Eggs and Butter: Cholesteral is Proved Deadly and Our Diets May Never Be the Same," Time, March 26, 1984, pg. 62) [02/10/08:15]
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

Ok,i can disprove just about all of that, as the man said, lies, damn lies and statistics check this out sausage dodger:

www.mercola.com/2000/apr/2/...

(sorry, dont know how to do that linking thing)

Read and digest!
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

there was a website called "A Response to Stephen Byrnes' The Myths of Vegetarianism" but it no longer exists. it's gone. the secret government have silenced the poor guy.

true :)
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

any you're just bitter cos I'm healthier, will live longer and am less susceptable to diseases.

(and smarter than you, but that goes without saying.)

;)

www.vegsource.com/articles/...

A quote from yor wonderful Mr Byrnes

"Bse is probably not caused by cows eating animal parts with their food, a practice which imitates nature, as cows eating fresh grass consume insect larvae and eggs"

Uh, whoops. got that one wrong

another quote from your guy:

HIV doesn't cause AIDS;

AZT is poison;

AIDS is NOT infectious;

AIDS is a treatable, curable disease.

Yeah, cos now everything the guy says seems believable to me. hmmm
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

and actually your article doesnt disprove any of that. it justs says that pregnent vegetarian women should take vitamin suplaments. lucky i'm not a woman, or pregnant, then. :)
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

my goodness I love arguing, escpecially when both sides are using highly charged and probably very biased articles and statistics to back them up!!

;)
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

Hmm, the average iq of americans is inevitably dragged down by those struggling along on the poverty line, vegetarainism is not an option for these people, they just want to eat, the fact that vegetarian children's iq's are (alledgedly) higher is unsurprising as it is a decision brought on by having too much money and time on your hands, go show and ethiopian a huge steak and tell him you dont eat it by choice, watch him stare at you in utter disbelief.

America produces Beef in quantities that the rest of the world can only dream of and in typical arrogant attitude, part of the population opt out and then try and force their opinions on the rest of us.
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

P.S. you are particularly well prepared for todays argument, i shall have to raise my game ;)
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

Risk of death from heart disease is generally due to being a big fat lardy bastard, it is generally more difficult to pile on the pounds on a vegetarian diet than on a meat based diet, but this doesn't make the meat option less healthy, once again, these are american stats, big fat yanks wandering around stuffing their grids with enormous burgers. moderation is the key people

another quote from your guy:

HIV doesn't cause AIDS;

AZT is poison;

AIDS is NOT infectious;

AIDS is a treatable, curable disease.

Yeah, cos now everything the guy says seems believable to me. hmmm

I concede this point, my boy appears to be a lying bastard
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

Regions where meat is scarce. Like Ethiopia?
yeah not too much heart disease there. maybe due to the fact that they are all starving to death, drive over a few head of cows, watch them bad boys tuck in
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

P.S. its cholesterol. nothing like an accurate statistical report complete with spelling mistakes. what was the source again? VIZ?
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

hehe. :) its a lesson in trusting your sources. and yes I know that most of mine are from vegetarian society studies and th like but some are from Medical councils. But there is extreme bias on both sides.

it would be nice if a completely unbiased group (i suspect they would need to be from outer space) could come along, do tests. take readings. study it properly and then give simple unbiased facts. will never happen though cos everyone has an agenda. :)

And it refers to British studies:

Hmm, people who accept the vegetarian way of life are by definition more concious of heath related matters, would it be sensible to suggest that a much smaller percentage of them smoke? i think i can link that to lower rates of cancer.

Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

(and smarter than you, but that goes without saying.)

;)

Hey you could get hit by a Huge industrial tarmac roller tommorrow, as you life flashes before your eyes, will you regret a lack of lovely meat, stella and nicotine?

As for the smarter question lets have a poll when we finish arguing, the public can decide the winner and award the trophy.

*offers sporting handshake*
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

p.s. dont italic smileys look strange.

this one is fantastic! this doesnt even include the smoking factor:

chandler, 10:31 12 November 2002:

Covered all these points vegetarians are generally more likely to lead healthier lifestyles. although theres always a chance that a rogue pill could slip in through the multitude of suppliments that you have to take to balance your strange and UNNATURAL diet and stop you falling on your face every five miniutes and breaking your brittle bones.
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

Right, i think im done. you?
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

I dont take any suppliments. which could spell bad news for my unborn baby but never mind.

"and will you regret a lack of lovely meat, stella and nicotine?"

nah. honestly I dont like the taste of meat. or beer or ciggys.

I'm just a freak. I dont consider being a vege to be hard work. I just take advantage of how I like to live to get on my high horse and storm the moral high ground whilst you take the low road and I mix my metaphors

And yes italic smileys look freaky, like a melted face. weird.

Oh and yes, I'm done now.

*shakes hands, swaps shirts*
Posted by ilovebeerme, 12 years ago:

"(truth be told I only became vegetarian cos I love to argue with meat eaters :) and I eat sandwiches filled with bacon which I cunningly disguise as lettice and tomatoes.)"

Jsut eat my vegetarian real bacon from the inventions page. Another class act from Beer Farms.
Posted by chandler, 12 years ago:

yes, i read about that, it sounds wonderful.
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

Excellent, cheers chandler, i feel ready to face the bank manager now!
Posted by Sul, 12 years ago:

Italic smilies look like they've had a stroke :D
Posted by reitsma, 12 years ago:

here's some interesting evidence:

"meat tastes great." Adam Reitsma.

:o]
Posted by Victor Menendez, 12 years ago:

Woo, finally some scientific sense!
Posted by cal, 12 years ago:

"cal is great" Cal Henderson
Posted by Sul, 12 years ago:

"Sul's a muppet" Sul's mum
Posted by cal, 12 years ago:

:D

Post a reply

To post to the iamcal discussion forum, you need to first register for a free account.

Choose a username:

If you're already registered, please click here to login.